One such method is to allocate the tax basis in your shares of Southern Company stock immediately prior to the spin-off between your Southern Company stock and Mirant common stock, in proportion to the fair market value of each stock on April 2, 2001, the last trading day before the distribution. The closing price per share for Southern Company WI (without the distribution) on April 2, 2001, was $21.60. The closing price per share of Mirant WI on April 2, 2001, was $34.60. Using this methodology, and the 0.397614 distribution ratio, 61.09% of your basis would be allocated to Southern Company common stock, and the remaining 38.91% would be allocated to the shares of Mirant common stock received in the distribution (including any fractional share interest). You should consult your tax advisor regarding the application of this calculation to your particular circumstances.