Investor Fact Sheet
A Super-Regional Powerhouse
With 4.4 million customers, nearly 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity in service and a growing competitive generation business, Southern Company is a major source of energy in the southeastern U.S.
Our Major Businesses
Traditional Operating Companies
Our strong base includes transmission, distribution, approximately 37,000 megawatts of regulated generation and approximately 9,000 megawatts of wholesale generation serving retail customers through purchase power agreements. Plans exist for added capacity through 2017 to meet demand and maintain reliability.
Our competitive generation business has approximately 9,000 megawatts of generating capacity in commercial operation dedicated to serving the competitive wholesale market.
"Our longstanding traditions of serving customers, supporting communities and displaying integrity wherever we gomake this more than a business."
– Tom Fanning, Chairman, President & CEO
Strong Financial Performance
|Total Shareholder Return|
|Annualized returns for periods ending December 31, 2012. Source: Bloomberg; assumes all dividends (including Mirant spinoff proceeds) are reinvested and returns are compounded monthly.|
- Currently $2.03 per share annually.
- Increase in April 2012, marking 12th consecutive year of dividend increases.
- 262 consecutive quarters, more than 64 years, of dividend payments.
Goal of achieving an attractive risk-adjusted return, supported by a simple, transparent business model, sound financial policy and stable 'A' credit rating.
- Premier super-regional energy company focused on the Southeast.
- Experienced management knows how to create and deliver value.
- Outperformed the S&P 500 Index for total shareholder return in 5-year, 10-year and 30-year periods ended December 31, 2012.
- Attractive dividend yield.
- A large-cap, liquid, bellwether stock with a history of growth.
- Southern Power's conservative business model based on long-term contracts with solid, creditworthy counterparties.
Goals For Our Major Businesses
Strive to remain among the leaders in our industry, a reliable energy provider for our customers and a solid investment for our shareholders.
|Subsidiaries and Affiliates|
What Distinguishes Southern Company?
Only electric utility in the U.S. committed to a full portfolio of new nuclear, 21st century coal gasification, natural gas, solar and biomass.
One of "World's Most Admired" Electric and Gas Utilities and No. 1 in "Financial Soundness" four years in a row.
2012 Edison Award
Edison Electric Institute
No. 1 Electric Utility in North America
Electric Light & Power magazine
2012 Energy Company of the Year
2012 Most Honored Companies
Institutional Investor magazine
Consistently listed among the top U.S. electric service providers in customer satisfaction.
NYSE ticker symbol - SO
Direct Stock Purchase/Southern Investment Plan: (800) 554-7626
Stockholder Services: (800) 554-7626