Investor Fact Sheet
A Super-Regional Powerhouse
With 4.4 million customers, approximately 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity in service and a growing competitive generation business, the Southern Company system is a major source of energy in the southeastern U.S.
Our Major Businesses
Traditional Operating Companies
Our strong base includes transmission, distribution and approximately 37,000 megawatts of regulated generation. Plans exist for added capacity through 2018 to meet demand and maintain reliability.
Our competitive generation business has approximately 9,000 megawatts of generating capacity in commercial operation dedicated to serving the competitive wholesale market.
“Every decision we make is arrived at by asking one question: How does it benefit the families, businesses and communities we serve?”
– Tom Fanning, Chairman, President & CEO
Strong Financial Performance
|Total Shareholder Return
|Annualized returns for periods ending December 31, 2013. Source: Bloomberg; assumes all dividends (including Mirant spinoff proceeds) are reinvested and returns are compounded monthly.
- In April 2014, increased dividend for 13th consecutive year.
- Currently $2.10 per share annually.
- More than 65 years of consecutive quarterly dividend payments.
Goal of achieving an attractive risk-adjusted return, supported by a simple, transparent business model, sound financial policy and stable ‘A’ credit ratings.
- Premier super-regional energy company focused on the Southeast.
- Experienced management focuses on creating and delivering value.
- Outperformed the S&P 500 Index for total share¬holder return in 10-year, 20-year and 30-year periods ended December 31, 2013.
- A large-cap, liquid, bellwether stock with a history of growth.
- Southern Power’s conservative business model based on long-term contracts with solid, credit¬worthy counterparties.
Goals For Our Major Businesses
Strive to remain among the leaders in our industry, a reliable energy provider for customers and a solid investment for our stockholders.
|Subsidiaries and Affiliates
What Distinguishes Southern Company?
Only electric utility in the U.S. committed to a full portfolio of new nuclear, 21st century coal gasification, natural gas, solar, wind and biomass.
One of only two companies named to “World’s Most Admired” Electric and Gas Utilities last 5 years.
American Customer Satisfaction Index
Consistently listed among the top U.S. electric service providers in customer satisfaction.
Growth in Renewables
Largest voluntary solar portfolio in U.S. (at subsidiary Georgia Power). More than 1,700 megawatts of renewables added or announced since January 2012.
Ranked among best employers for minorities, military and workers over 50.
Ranked among top sustainable energy companies in Southeast.